Labor - Youth Employment - Frequently Asked Questions (English)

Labor Department

Frequently Asked Questions About Youth Employment

Click on any question to open up a window with the answer. To close a window, click on its question again. You may have multiple windows open at once. 

Work permits are not required in the State of Arizona. Is permission from the youth’s parents required or helpful? Permission from the youths’ parents is not a requirement nor does it allow youths to work in violation of Arizona’s Youth Employment Laws.

It is not discrimination to ask youths their age and to provide evidence of their age as age discrimination applies to individuals aged 40-70. Employers need to verify ages as they can still be subject to penalties if a youth does not disclose his/her actual age.

When an employer is found to be in violation of the State’s Youth Employment Laws, a penalty is assessed. The maximum penalty that can be assessed is $1,000.00.

A hearing can be requested in writing within twenty (20) days after the date of issuance of the order. In addition, an informal conference with the Director of the State Labor Department can be requested.

If both federal law and state law are applicable, the stricter law governs.

For information about the federal child labor laws, contact the Federal Wage and Hour Division at www.youthrules.dol.gov

A.R.S. Title 12, Chapter 15 sets forth the process for the filing of a Petition for a minor, at least 16 years of age, to become emancipated.  If the petition is approved, the minor will be recognized as an adult for all purposes listed under A.R.S. 12-2454 including but not limited to: 

  • The right to enter into a binding contract.
  • The right to obtain a license to operate equipment or perform a service.

 Rev 06/2021