Industrial Commission of Arizona
Legal Secretary 1
800 W Washington
Are you ready to work for an exceptional state agency that works to protect the life, health and welfare of the employees in the State of Arizona? Apply with us! The Industrial Commission of Arizona (ICA) is committed to the highest standards of compliance, demonstrating leadership in all areas, and teaching and working with employers and employees to make them successful. A thriving workforce in Arizona is what we strive for and work towards each day.
The purpose of this Legal Secretary I position is to provide the necessary administrative support for the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) Division. This position assists with maintaining the electronic judicial docket in specialized legal areas including Worker’s Compensation and other areas within the jurisdiction of the Industrial Commission. This position is responsible for preparing legal notices, subpoenas, orders and awards, as well as scheduling hearings with multiple parties, maintaining confidential files, composing general correspondence and responding to inquiries regarding electronic case filing and the hearing process and applicable procedures. This position also accepts and properly routes filings for cases pending in the ALJ Division. Additionally, this position provides administrative support for ALJ Division by processing invoices and receipts and other support services.
As a State of Arizona agency, the ICA offers an excellent benefits package, including top-ranked retirement and long-term disability plans, affordable medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability plans, 10 paid holidays per year, 13 paid vacation days and 12 paid sick days per year, and a deferred compensation plan option.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Arizona Worker's Compensation laws, rules and legal principles;
- Legal forms and formats sufficient to prepare orders, awards and general correspondence;
- General law office and/or judicial office policies and procedures for legal case management and legal docket management;
- Windows, Outlook, Word, Excel, and computer-based legal case management systems and portals, as well as office equipment such as copiers and transcribers;
- English grammar and usage, in addition to legal and medical terminology sufficient to effectively prepare judicial orders, decisions and correspondence;
- Office policies sufficient to monitor time lines and work assignments, such that deadlines are met; and
- Techniques in screening incoming correspondence, telephone calls and dealing with the public.
- Excellent customer service skills;
- Strong typing skills, word processing, and proof reading skills;
- Strong oral and written communication skills; and
- Analytical problem-solving skills.
- Efficiently manage projects and meet deadlines;
- Manage a heavy workload with a high level of accuracy and efficiency;
- Interpret ALJ case management transaction histories and provide guidance on complicated transaction scenarios;
- Effectively and accurately use legal case management computer systems and computer portals; and
- Recognize and engage those with different backgrounds, characteristics, and perspectives to bridge gaps in understanding of differing viewpoints, as well as ensuring persons with diverse perspectives are given the opportunity to collaborate and provide input.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Knowledge of Arizona Worker's Compensation claims processing procedures and the administrative hearing process; and
- Experience with judicial case management systems, particularly those utilizing a Salesforce-based platform.
- All newly hired employees are subject to E-Verify Employment Eligibility Verification.
- The ICA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Agency.
- Arizona State Government is an EOE/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer. During all phases of the application and selection process, people with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting the ICA’s Human Resources Department at (602) 542-5559.