Accounting Specialist 1
Are you ready to work for an exceptional state agency that works to protect the life, health and welfare of the employees in the State of Arizona? Apply with us! The Industrial Commission of Arizona (ICA) is committed to the highest standards of compliance, demonstrating leadership in all areas, and teaching and working with employers and employees to make them successful. A thriving workforce in Arizona is what we strive for and work towards each day.
The ICA uses the Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS) and the purchase order system, Arizona Procurement Portal (APP), to process Administrative and Special Fund transactions. The Special Fund also uses an ERP system, JWS Claims Management, to process Worker's Compensation claims in AFIS. The Accounting Specialist I must have knowledge of each system. Additionally, the Accounting Specialist I must have a good working knowledge of Excel to perform allocations, maintain logs and complete reconciliations.
Daily assigned tasks include researching, compiling, analyzing, balancing, reconciling and summarizing fiscal records; posting account information accurately and timely; solving daily problems and making independent decisions based on information and research; reviewing and correcting accounting codes and mathematical calculations; matching invoices with purchase orders and receiving documents; processing invoices for payment and taking advantage of all available discounts; researching customer accounts and processing billing request forms to create accounts receivable documents; resolving conflicts and problems presented by peers of the Accounting Division, other ICA Division staff and outside vendors; encumbering funds and monitoring and controlling amounts expended from appropriated funds to assure that expenditures do not exceed available funds; monitoring worker's compensation claims reserves and controlling amounts expended not to exceed reserve levels; and researching, gathering and compiling data for daily logs and monthly summary reports.
This position reports to the Accounting Specialist Manager, and backs up the other Accounting Specialist I positions. All Accounting Specialist Is are cross trained on each other’s duties. This position performs other duties as assigned.
As a State of Arizona agency, the ICA offers an excellent benefits package, including top-ranked retirement and long-term disability plans, affordable medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability plans, 10 paid holidays per year, 13 paid vacation days and 12 paid sick days per year, and a deferred compensation plan option.
- The principles, concepts, practices of fiscal and financial processing and record keeping, including automated accounts payable and accounts receivable systems.
- Methods and practices of handling and safeguarding cash and negotiable instruments.
- State and Federal procedures including the State of Arizona Accounting Manual, State of Arizona Procurement rules, ICA policies and procedures and OSHA federal grant requirements.
- Arizona Financial Information System (AFIS).
- Computer software applications for communication, spreadsheets, Internet, and word processing, including Microsoft Word, Google Suit and Excel.
- Arizona Procurement Portal (APP)
- W-9 forms and 1099 reporting.
- Processing transactions effectively using the State’s accounting and procurement systems.
- Processing transactions effectively using ICA's integrated financial management systems (GovCollect and JWS FileHandler).
- Maintaining ledgers and journals and preparing reports that summarize financial transactions.
- Preparing transfers and journal entries.
- Gathering, compiling, examining and reconciling accounting transactions and vendor and customer accounts.
- Maintaining accurate records in accordance with State records retention policies.
- Effectively operating computer software applications for communication, spreadsheets, Internet, and word processing, including Microsoft Word, Google Suite and Excel..
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Perform routine accounting tasks involving basic numeric calculations.
- Complete a variety of financial transactions with accuracy under tight deadlines.
- Understand, interpret and apply the fundamental principles of accounting and general fiscal and financial record keeping practices in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Analyze fiscal data.
- Recognize and engage those with different backgrounds, characteristics, and perspectives to bridge gaps in understanding of differing viewpoints, as well as ensuring persons with diverse perspectives are given the opportunity to collaborate and provide input.